Monday, July 22, 2013

Holding on tight!!

Wow - I have really left it a long time between posts this time!  I have had the best of intentions but no time and in some instances, not a lot of motivation.  But today as we hunker down at home, I thought it would be a good time to do a very quick post.  This is more of a diary entry for me to look back on in the future from a time that I would rather forget!

My lovely city of Wellington has been hit with several large earthquakes since Friday with the biggest being yesterday early evening which was a 6.5 magnitude.  I had both children in the doorway with me leaning over them holding them tight.  They were absolutely beside themselves with fright. We are now all on edge and to be honest, quite terrified.  There is no predicting whether that was the worst of it or whether there will be more of that size. According to the newspaper this morning there have been more than 230 earthquakes in the Wellington region since Friday - with even more now as aftershocks keep happening.  Thankfully our home hasn't suffered any damage other than a few more cracks in the corners to add to previous earthquake movement!!  Friends in Christchurch have passed on wise information - stock up on toilet paper, make sure the car is full of petrol and keep cash at hand in case EFTPOS facilities shutdown! 

I have grown up here so seismic activity is part of life - but not like this.  And since the dreadful destruction in Christchurch - earthquakes are just that much more frightening.  I guess I was in denial that real damage would ever happen here in my lifetime.  But now it is a reality having seen Christchurch CBD pretty much wiped out in their earthquakes.

Thank you for your lovely messages of concern.  We are safe and well.  I will be happier once my husband gets home from work though!  Thankfully his company made the decision to move out of Wellington CBD because of earthquake safety and are now in a smaller dwelling just outside the city centre.  Phew.

  
Here's a quick pic I just copied off the news website.  This is a portion of Wellington Wharf that has just fallen into the sea!

All this shaking follows a month of rotten storms.  A few weeks back we had the most horrendous storm and we had quite a bit of damage to our garden with that one.  So pleased the roof stayed on!!!!  Husband had to saw himself out in the morning as a huge hedge covering our neighbours garage had collapsed over our footpath.  It was a shame to lose such a beautiful plant but there was just no saving it.  It was too heavy to get back up on the wall.  Our trellis collapsed onto our vege plot so all the winter vege got squashed.  We went for a drive around the south coast on the Sunday following the Thursday night storm and here are some of the pics from that day.  The top left and centre are off our hedge - the rest is off coastal damage.


There has been a lot of crochet going on too.  Lots and lots of hat orders with all this chilly weather!!  Here are a few of the ones I've made just recently.
I also made a beautiful mustard coloured cowl (which my camera just won't let me download!).  I adore it and because I enjoyed making it so much, I had to make a few more which I have popped into my shop.   I used this pattern and then left the ends rather than joining them up.  That way you can wear it in any way you like.  I have used some pretty vintage buttons attached to a brooch pin/clip to fasten them.  They are so lovely and snuggly to wear.  It works up really quickly and is a nice repetitive pattern.  I will definitely be making more of these.



Right - that's enough from me.  I need a calming cup of tea and a lie down after a sleepless night.  Think we might curl up on the couch for a DVD after lunch.

I hope it won't be so long between posts next time.  I have really missed visiting all my favourite blogs and am now ridiculously far behind in all your posts! 

Take care,
Leah
xxxx

24 comments:

  1. Leah, Leah, Leah you have been missed. So sorry to hear the Mother Nature is not being kind. I bet your children were so frightened and you must have been, too. I am sending you positive thoughts that things will calm down. Love all your crochet, you are so talented.
    Sending you a hug,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks scary! but glad to hear you are ok :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that you and your family are fine! It must be hard for you to see your children so scared! I hope everything will get better soon! My thoughts are with you!
    I love your newest crochet!
    Sending you lots of hugs and kisses! Barbina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear things have been so awful for you these past few days, it must be pretty scary, especially when there is little warning, I'm glad that you are all safe and that your house has fared ok. I hope that's the last of it and you can begin to relax again.

    Your hats and cowls are brilliant, as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG…what a fright for you and your babies. That was such a strong one. I'm glad you are all safe. What troopers you are.
    You have been on a huge, beanie kick! They are all terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leah - I am so glad you are safe but how frightening it must be. We had a tiny quake here in UK a few years ago and it was really just a rumble but even that was frightening. I hope you don't get any more. Sorry about your garden - I always get upset when plants are damaged. I have a little puppy now and he is a garden demolition expert. He managed to destroy a 20ft bamboo while I was eating dinner!! Take care. Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea you were going through that! Earthquakes are so unsettling, hopefully everything will quiet down now.
    I loved seeing all your crochet, you have been really busy!!
    The cowl is lovely, especially the addition of the brooch.
    I'm off to check out the pattern now.
    Have a great (quiet) week :)
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are all safe, take care of your lovely family xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fingers crossed that there will be no more scary ones of that magnitude Leah - how frightening for you all.
    Loving all your crochet, you have been busy!
    Take care and keep safe
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi gorgeous! So wonderful to hear from you, have truly missed your colourful posts. Pleased to hear you are all well, despite the ongoing rock and rolling, and like you hope that that is the end of it. Sending much love, and thank you for taking time to share with us your latest creations and the ups and downs of living in wonderful Welly. T x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, how awful for you and your little ones. Prayers for your continued safety and that no more quakes. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear about the quakes - quite terrifying for you I'm sure. Just wanted to let you know I'd used (and linked to) your lovely teacosy pattern on my blog. Thanks for such clear instructions - mine looks a bit baggy because I'd no idea what the pot was like when I started!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was a shaky few days wasn't it? I am so pleased that the aftershocks (at least the ones we can feel) have stopped! And fingers crossed for no more big ones! Though I have checked and re-stocked our emergency kit just in case :)

    I love all that colourful crochet! I have your tea cosy pattern in my queue on Ravlery and I must start it soon! Thanks for the link to the lovely cowl pattern. I like how you left it unjoined with a brooch to fasten.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Leah, I'm so sorry to hear you've had a rough few months. Keep the water and yarn stocked, and hopefully the worst is behind you. Your crochet is all so beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Leah
    I just cannot imagine how frightening it must be to experience an earthquake! My Dad told me when I was younger that he went through two very bad ones in India when he was stationed there and that until it actually happens to you there is no real description or way of knowing how terrifying it is. I shudder to think!
    I am so sorry you have been going through such a bad time and do hope the worst is behind you now.

    Meanwhile....
    I have a giveaway on the go on my blog until 24th August.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Leah
    I'm also terribly inconsistent with my blogging!! I just posted for the first time in ages and decided to take the opportunity to do a mass catch up on all my bloglovin reads!
    Your recent experiences sound awful, the images you have shared are quite shocking. I hope all your nearest and dearest are OK and haven't suffered too much costly damage...
    On a happy note, wow, you've made good use of the bad weather - your productivity puts me to shame! I just recently discovered the Drops website through a friend of mine - I love the cowl pattern you have used (I feel some xmas presies coming on!) ... and I think the ends loose with vintage button is defo an improvement on the design - good idea!
    Hope you aren't hit by too much more bad weather
    Em xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Leah, I'm just having a catch up on some blogs after a serious lack of time too. So sorry to hear that things have been so scary for you. I really hope that everything is ok now and that you all are safe and well.
    Lovely to see all of your crochet makes, too- you are so talented.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend,
    Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a smart blog. I mean it. You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoy reading a post that will make people think.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's more informative and easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think a lot of articles related to are disappearing someday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, after reading this amazing post i am too glad to share my experience here with mates.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It’s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment! Have a fab day.